Cafe Xpress – A Vegetarian Meal for a Carnivore

by Franklin on April 18, 2011

This cafe was a new addition to the Atlantic Times Square shopping center.  The food here is very casual, as is the atmosphere.  The inside was very clean (something you don’t see everyday in Chinese restaurants in Monterey Park).  They had flat screens everywhere which was good for days my Los Angeles Lakers play.  Prices for entrees are really affordable and it is always a relaxing time here.  The icing on top is that they offer a free drink with every entree.  That is a great deal!

My favorite thing here is their chow mein.  Do you like chow mein?  Do you prefer the thick kind or thin kind?  I prefer the thin kind and Cafe Express does it wonderfully.  Something simple as chow mein was so delicious here.  It didn’t even have meat in it — just soy sauce chow mein.  Grabbing some with my chopsticks and eating it plain was a treat. This dish is simple as it gets, and as good as it gets.

I also tried the squash casserole.  It was a great vegetarian dish, as it had nicely cooked squash and mushrooms.  Squash is something I don’t eat often, but this time around seemed like a good time.  It was very hearty, though not my favorite of the bunch.  This vegetarian meal calls for some meat, thought I didn’t get any this time.  As you know, I am a carnivore at heart.

My go to meat dish would be their calamari.  It is so good, and the best there is.  It seems to me that restaurants take on the calamari differently.  Some fry the rings, some fry calamari nuggets,  but this place uses real squid.  The batter is very light.  My favorite is the spicy salt they sprinkle on these fried morsels.  The dish was so flavorful.

Eating at Cafe Xpress is always great.  Clean environment, good cheap food, and lots to choose from makes this place stand out from the rest.  I guess that’s the beauty about eating at cafe’s because they offer so much variety.  Despite having lots to choose from, I will stick with my chow mein and calamari.  Eating good food, watching the Los Angeles Dodgers, cheering for my Lakers, all in the comfort of Cafe Xpress.  That is the good life.

Cafe Xpress on Urbanspoon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Dee April 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Hey Franklin, love your blog! I don’t live any where near California but if I’m ever visiting I know to go to your blog for the fab places to eat 🙂

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz April 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Oh this place sound great, love the pic of the squash casserole. It is hard to get good squid in a restaurant, glad this one is great.

Coffeebeans April 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Hi, Franklin!
I like your blog. If I will ever visit California I will surely consult your blog for great meals or culinary events!
See ya!

Franklin April 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Cool! Thank you for visiting! It meas a lot.

Fresh and Foodie April 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Those noodles look so good! I’ll be in LA next week for work — maybe I’ll check this place out for myself!

Franklin April 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Cool. Hope LA treats you nicely. I can give you some suggestions on where to eat. What part of LA are you staying at?

Mario April 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Hi Franklin, thanks for the visit to my blog and especially for leaving a comment. Comments are always great to get. First of all, your photos are beautiful. So sharp and clear and bright. Very professional looking. You must have a nice camera. Mine I can fit in my shirt pocket. Again, thanks. My biscotti disappears quick. But I really enjoy the experience of making it more that I do the eating of it.

Franklin April 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for commenting back Mario. Yeah, those biscottis probably do disappear pretty quickly huh. My camera isn’t that great. Just a point and shoot. But I do what I can to make the food come out nicely. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Hope to read more of your posts as you do mine. Cheers!

Lin Ann April 19, 2011 at 2:20 PM

It all looks great! And a free drink with every entree, TVs, good food, clean. . . wish there were one near me. Great photos!